Weeds are one of the common intruders that are present in nearly every lawn. The problem arises when weeds start appearing in large numbers and begin growing to frightening levels. Weeds not only upset the external beauty of the lawn but also harm the nutrient level of the grass. The biggest challenge for the owner is to identify lawn weeds. In order to identify lawn weeds, it is essential to learn about the various weed types that can cause harm to the lawn.
Some of the commonly found weeds include:
- Crabgrass – Commonly present at sidewalk edges, driveway cracks, etc. This low-lying weed consists of broad, sticky, and thin foliage.
- Nimblewill – Produces blue-green, short, flat leaves up to 2 inches long. When dormant, nimblewill is a faded dull brown.
- Nutsedge – Thicker and stiffer than most grasses; triangular stems. Color ranges from dark red/purple to straw colored/golden.
- Thistle – A broadleaf weed that contains small thorns on its leaves.
- Tall Fescue – A long and thin weed with innumerable compacted stalks. It is commonly located in the middle of the lawn area.
- Clover – A tender and low lying weed. It mainly germinates pink and white colored flowers.
- Quack grass – Gives the lawn a coarse, uneven appearance; can be identified by the small hairs found at the bottom of the plant.
- Ground Ivy – Spreads very quickly and is a hard, low lying weed with broad leaves.
- Dandelions – A dicot weed; generally sprouts yellow flowers.
It is necessary to identify lawn weeds so that you can take the required control and counter measures. Some of the common control methods include herbicides that chemically banish the weeds. Traditional methods like hoeing, weeding, mowing, etc. are also recommended for small percentages of weed removal. However, it is essential to collect information about chemicals as well traditional methods to get the desired results.
It is almost impossible to stop the emergence of weeds. We recommend that you take the suitable steps well before any alarming or panicking situation occurs.
Call Paramount today to schedule your lawn weed control services in order to stop the weed growth before its too late! (513) 984-5200