Aeration and Overseeding: the Time to Schedule is Now
What is Aeration and Overseeding?
Aeration and overseeding is the best service you can schedule for keeping your lawn beautiful. At Paramount Lawn + Landscape, we recommend this service to all of our customers, every year. So, what is it?
- Aeration: Loosens soil and encourages airflow by punching holes in the lawn and creating air pockets
- Overseeding: Planting grass directly over your lawn, without tearing up the existing turf or soil
These two steps work together, as the seed falls into the holes created by the aeration. The time to get on the schedule for this service is right now.
How Does Aeration and Overseeding Help My Lawn?
Aeration and overseeding break up the thatch layer that tends to form at the base of turf. Also, many lawns suffer from soil compaction, which is when the soil becomes too dense. Compaction can happen over time from foot traffic, mowing or other machinery. The dense, clay soils of Cincinnati are particularly susceptible to compaction. When you clear out the thatch and break up the soil, it allows more airflow and deeper water penetration.
When nutrients reach deeper into the soil, the turf grows deeper, more healthy roots. And, of course, the new seed grows to fill in any thin patches in your lawn.
When Does Aeration and Overseeding Happen?
In the Cincinnati area, aeration and overseeding are best done from September 1 to October 15. And it’s a service that should be done every year.
So, why fall?
- Aerating in the spring promotes weed growth, because the weed seeds are lying just at the surface, ready to sprout. Aerating in the fall happens just before plants go dormant and when annual weeds are dying out
- Overseeding in the fall gives the grass seed time to sink into the soil, where it will be ready to sprout in the early spring. Grass seed sown in the spring will be playing “catch up” all season long and may not be mature enough to withstand summer’s hot and dry weather
- The soil is still warm from the summer. In the spring, soil is just starting to warm up from the winter
Why Schedule Aeration and Overseeding So Early?
Because the window for aeration and overseeding is so narrow, our schedule here at Paramount Lawn + Landscape fills up quickly. We want to help our customers be confident their lawn is taken care of, which is why we suggest contacting us in July or August to schedule for September and October.
Contact us today to get on the schedule for your Aeration and Overseeding service. Or, learn more about Lawn Fertilization at our resources page.