Fall Landscape Ideas for Cincinnati Homes
Beyond Mums: Add Autumn Beauty to Your Home
Now, we don’t have anything against mums. They burst with color and last long into the season. But we want to share some fascinating fall landscape ideas that are a little outside the ordinary.
Paramount Lawn + Landscape’s landscaping and hardscaping services are the best around. If you can dream it, we can do it! (And if you need help with fall landscape ideas, we’ll be glad to brainstorm with you about your property).
Fall Landscape Ideas: Front Yard
Your front yard welcomes you home and is the first part of your property your guests and neighbors see. It should look its best year-round. For your front yard to stay beautiful from spring to summer and through fall and winter, consider what will be the focal point each season. Here are three fall landscape ideas:
- Evergreen shrubs and bushes are green, vibrant and last for years, with the right tree and shrub care. For a really interesting grouping, choose contrasting shapes and shades of green. For instance, tall, conical pencil point junipers with rounded boxwoods. For creative shaping ideas, check out our article “How to Trim Boxwoods.”
- Trees that offer stunning fall color are a no-brainer for your front yard. Whether you plant one as a focal point, or a line of them down the driveway, it’s sure to be gorgeous. Check out these 5 Trees with Incredible Fall Color for the TriState.
- Pick a multi-season plant or three to make a year-round impact in a small area. Some include pagoda dogwood, reblooming hydrangeas, viburnum or ninebark. These often flower in one season, grow berries or change color in another and finish with spectacular foliage color.
Front Yard Pictures for Fall Landscape Ideas
Fall Landscape Ideas: Backyard
Contrasting shapes, textures and colors will make your backyard landscaping your favorite place. Here are three fall landscape ideas for your backyard:
- Ornamental grasses add height to gardens beds and come in many interesting colors and textures, like red baron blood grass or heavy metal switch grass. Enjoy the low-maintenance care of grass, which is attractive spring, summer and fall.
- OK, mums are great. But if you’re looking for something new, try planting ornamental cabbage and kale, which can survive temperatures as low as 5 degrees Fahrenheit. The white and purple foliage are striking in a fall garden. Other unusual blooms include Japanese anemones, Joe Pye weed and monkshood.
- For fall color and weed control, plant ground cover in your open areas. As the ground cover takes hold and spreads, you will love how easy it is to care for. Cranberry cotoneaster displays red berried in the fall. Bunchberry flowers in the spring. In the fall, leaves changes to burgundy and red berries grow. Creeping thyme is growing in popularity, although it flowers in the spring/summer.
Backyard Pictures for Fall Landscape Ideas
Fall Landscape Ideas: Planting Trees
Now is the time to plan for beautiful fall color next year.
Autumn is the perfect time to plant a tree in your yard. The cooler temperatures and often ample rain of fall helps the tree establish roots. And the tree will enjoy a spring season of growth before summer. Hot, dry summers are hard on trees, so the deeper their roots, the better.
You can plant a tree anytime before the ground freezes, and the roots will continue to grow as long as soil temperatures are about 40 degrees. In our area, that could extend into December. Check out this article in the Enquirer for more details.
Tree Pictures for Fall Landscape Ideas
Fall Landscape Ideas: Planting Shrubs
Like trees, fall is a great time to plant woody shrubs, for all the same reasons. Here are three beautiful shrub fall landscape ideas.
- Crape Myrtle – can bloom from July up until the first frost with white, red, purple or pink flowers. Showy fall foliage
- Rose of Sharon – Easy to grow, with tropical-looking flowers that last into fall
- Birchleaf spirea – White flowers and distinctive birch-like leaves that transitions to red, orange and purple in the fall
Shrub Pictures for Fall Landscape Ideas
Fall Landscape Ideas: Planting Bulbs for Spring
Gardening is often about planning for the future and delayed gratification. For a beautiful spring flower bed, now’s the time to act. After a long winter, you’ll be excited when some of these beauties start to bloom:
- Grape Hyacinth
Plant a mix of bulbs to enjoy color for months. Some early bloomers appear when snow is still on the ground, while others flower in March, April and May.
For more fall landscape ideas in Cincinnati, check out our Landscaping and Hardscaping Resources. Or contact us to put your ideas into action!